Voting

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 13- Last day of work

Last Day picture with our translators...

Today is the last work day before we leave tomorrow and Gale had gone to Doctors Without Boarders to discuss what patients they will allow and take in because lately they have rejected most of the ones we have sent to them and they told her that they do not take any medically complicated patients and they do external surgeries only however they do not have an x-ray machine. What? Meanwhile back at Blanchard the Diabetic man I went to check on yesterday at his house was back. His Blood sugar was 600+ so again we tried to take him to any hospital that would take him and again they rejected him. This man could not even walk, he was being carried up to the hospitals by the mattress he was laying on so again we lay him on the floor of his broken down home. However we hear that a hospital over 45 min away will take him so our driver will be getting up early the next morning to drive him and his family up there, hopefully it will be good news for him but in Haiti I've learned not to hold my breath. While back at Blanchard the sister of the pregnant woman they carried into us last night who claimed Vodoo came back to let us know they took her into the hospital that morning and thanked us claiming we saved her life by being so instant on her getting help. I still not sure how the hospitals pick and choose who they will accept and who they will reject. Today was busy as Jon, Jeanie, Judith and I suddenly recieved 4 patients with 103 temps or higher. The 19 year old with a low BP from yesterday was back with a high fever as well. We had patients laying on the floor everywhere along with over 100 other patients coming in to be seen. It was hard to give anyone my full attention I was running all over the place! We worked over 3 hours after we closed trying to get everyone seen and temps down. God blessed me with feelings of accomplishment today in two ways. 1) Jon and I had been teaching our translators different english words and american phrases through out the week. Today as Jon and I were working we started hearing other Haitians who we had never met using the words and phrases Jon and I had been teaching others. They told us how they heard it from other Haitians we have never met all leading up to our translators, it made us feel good knowing others were learning from our teachings also 2) I had prescribed an elderly woman a bunch of different meds and labeled each of them but even after explaining each med there were still too many to remember and I had noticed she didnt know how to read. So in the midst of Chaos I sat down with her and helped her sort and organize her meds in a way that she could easily know when to take each, she was so thankful when I was finished. It made me feel good that I was able to help in such a simple way in the middle of a huge mess. I will miss everyone in Haiti and will sad to leave tomorrow. I have decided to sponsor and child through P.I.D. It cost 25 dollars a month and it provides for schooling which is 12 dollars a month here and school supplies. It also provides for 1 meal a day etc. I have meet some of the sponsored kids and they are so sweet.( I encourage everyone to check out P.I.D. website to see in what ways you can help at ..... http://www.pidonline.org/ ) Now one last rain before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment