Voting

Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 9 - Easter



3 month old outside of church

Easter Sunday outside of church



Pics of children outside the church


Today is Easter and the Day of Sabbath, this morning we went back to the church in Alchai. As we were on our way out we past by the Mass Grave and Zompie swamp again. As we past by Zombie swamp we saw a group of men dumping buckets of water in the middle of the field and digging holes. We continued on and headed to the church. I did not enter the small church but listened from underneath a tree with the rest of the church members from outside. I was able to hold a 3 month old during the service until it was time for us to go up front where the pastor prayed over us as we took the bread and wine. After communion and the end of worship I went back to hold the baby again, I asked his mom what his name was and she told me he doesnt have a name they just call him baby. I told her there was a boy in the states named Daniel that really means alot to me and that she should name her baby Daniel. So Jeanie took a picture of me and Daniel before we left however when I tried to give him back to his mom she kept saying "you take Daniel". I kept telling her I cant and she eventually took him back, I wish I could have brought him home but I had seen this on the news and know it didnt turn out well. As everyone continued to visit, Kim and I walked down the road for awhile and saw people taking baths and washing thier clothes in the filthy water. We watched children play and just enjoyed their company taking pics etc. We left around noon and on our way to the beach I was telling Gale about Daniel. She informed me of the ratio that 1 out of 5 kids will die in haiti and in some places 1 out of 2 children die and the average life here is age 50. She was telling us how they continuously throw away their babies and children because they can not afford funerals. We finally got to Wahoo Bay which is a Beautiful resort where we were able to swim in the Ocean for awhile and have lunch. Burger and fries with a coke!!!!! What a Great Easter! I bought a couple of paintings and collected some shells, we spent most of the day there before heading back. As we drove past Zombie swamp again the people were all gone however there were several crosses in the middle of the field. Once we finally arrived back to our place it was pitch black outside and we were all just sitting around talking. A man who was visiting us shared about his experience during the earthquake when we suddenly heard drums and instruments playing down the road and coming our way. We all took off towards the street which was down an extremly dark alley but once we got there we saw hundreds of people marching and dancing in the street. As they past by people were running from all directions to join in the parade. Once we got back to our tents I went straight to bed. My thought is with Daniel tonight as I can still hear the drums playing in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment