Voting

Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 8-God lead us to the sick


The transportation in Haiti called Tap Tap


Today Amanda and I went back to DFO where we saw 130 patients. My kid Emanuel came back and hung out with me for most of the day, sitting beside me while I saw other patients. It was a blessing for me to be able to spend that time with him. I pray for him often. As we finished and began to pack up, allowing the boys to load, we decided to walk around the village when we suddenly came across a 7 year old boy laying under a tree. He was shaking uncontrollably. I had a thermometer on me and checked his temp which climbed to 103. We did not have any of the supplies we needed at DFO so I picked him up and started carrying him a ways until we got to our transportation called the TAP TAP. I did not notice at the time but I had set my water bottle down under the tree and when I went to pick him up and I had left it there, this became a huge problem for me during the next several days. As I sat down on the Tap Tap with this boy in my arms, I start to see his mother running towards us. As she finally jumps on I am able to see that her face is full of worry and fear. It was a long ride over rubble to the Blanchard clinic and I am drenched with sweat from holding this boy with a fever close to me but I too was worried. Once we finally arrived Amanda and I quickly realized we were the only ones there. Amanda started an I.V. as I began with an alcohol bath. We learn that the mother had lost a daughter about his age from a "high fever" unsure of the cause and that no one in that village has clean water. Still unsure of how to tell the difference between Typhoid and Malaria we began treatment for both. We worked on him for awhile until finally we had sent him home with a thermometer, suitcase full of clothes, pedgialight, food, meds, and 101 temp among other things. Tonight I worry if he will make it through the night but we informed her to come back first thing Monday morning. It was only a half day today and with this being a new team we went on another tour of downtown Port-Au-Prince. On our way Kim a PA on our team tells us about her experience at Doctors Without Boarders. As Kim was standing outside of DWB a woman was being rushed in by a wheel-barrel while another woman was running behind the two with a baby in her arms. They were yelling that there was another baby inside of the woman and she had just given birth to the baby that the other woman was holding. I thought only in Haiti would you see something like that. So as we continue through downtown we stop again at the palace as we had done the week before however this time was not a pleasant experience. It makes me think that Haiti is getting worse. The second we stopped and got out we became swarmed with people pulling at us and our clothes. My heart begins to race as I see fights start to break out and our driver starts swinging at people to get off of us with a board. We push our way back onto the Tap tap but people are crowding it and grabbing onto it. Our driver was concerned about our safety peeled away leaving people either chasing us or standing in the middle of the street fighting. Everyone is okay as we get back to our place and although I had no lunch I was able to eat dinner before our meeting and than bed. Tomorrow is Easter and I am looking forward to the break and am excited about going back to church before heading out to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment